The staff and faculty dashboard contains information about the number of staff and faculty working at the U starting in 2012. Counts are included for each campus, department and job classification. Reports from Fall 2006 through Fall 2021 are available on the historical data page.
- University of Minnesota, Data Warehouse - HR snapshot, payroll 9 (Fall) & 21 (Spring)
- AAUDE Data Warehouse - IPEDS Human Resources component
Report Update Cadence:
- After Pay Period 9 (late Oct/early Nov) and Pay Period 21 (mid-April)
- Part-time is anything less than 100% (based on total percent of all jobs) or Faculty on phased retirement.
- The Twin Cities campus includes the Medical School, Duluth Medical School, and Duluth Pharmacy employees.
- IPEDS (Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System) definitions used.
- The data include only employees paid on payroll 9 (late October) and payroll 21 (mid April) of each year.
- Excludes student employees and temp/casual employees.
- Labor Represented Faculty are included in the Faculty Jobcode Group and not included in the Labor Represented Jobcode Group.
- In the “Peer Comparisons” dashboard, occasionally there may be very slight differences in headcounts/FTE when comparing to IPEDS directly. These differences are usually due to the timing of data loads into source tables used for these dashboards.
IPEDS definitions used in the “Peer Comparisons” dashboard are available in the IPEDS glossary.
A defined period of instruction that is a subunit of an academic year in a specific academic year. Examples: Fall 2021, Spring 2022
The annual period of instruction that includes fall, spring, and summer terms. It is set based on the calendar year in which fall term falls, i.e., the academic year 2015 goes from Fall 2015 through Summer 2016.
The University of Minnesota locations at Crookston, Duluth, Morris, Rochester, Twin Cities and the entities that report to them.
College: A unit of the University of Minnesota, offering courses of instruction, usually leading to a degree, that furthers the University’s teaching, research, and outreach mission. Administrative Unit: A unit of the University of Minnesota that provides service in support of the University’s academic mission.
Deptid - Department
Identifies the organizational level at the University where budgets, staff, or academic programs are managed.
Employee group (MPact)
Grouping of University employees based on reporting methodology for the MPact 2025 Systemwide Strategic Plan, with the following groups: Faculty, Staff, Graduate Assistants, and Professionals in Training. The broadest definition of faculty is used including tenure system, contract, and P&A teaching specialist/lecturer, or any active employee in the tenure system (e.g., Dean, Associate Dean). Staff are those employees in the job code groups of: Faculty (FA), Academic Professional (AP), Academic Administrative (AA), Civil Service (CS), Labor Represented (LR), but who are not included in the aforementioned Faculty definition.
The number of hours an employee is scheduled to work divided by the University standard 40 hour work week yields the employee full time equivalency. For example, an employee working 30 hours per week is 0.75 FTE.
Identifies the position as Full-Time (40 hours per week) or Part-Time (less than 40 hours per week).
A high-level identifier of employee groups (i.e. Civil Service / Union-Represented, Undergraduate Student Employee, Academic Professional, etc.).
The designation of sex on legal documents. An individual’s sex might differ from their sex assigned at birth (if, for example, legal steps have been taken to change the individual’s sex) and/or from their gender identity.
New hires (IPEDS)
Hired full-time since the previous Fall term. Includes rehires.
Race/ethnicity group (IPEDS)
An aggregation of the IPEDS definition of race and ethnicity. A person’s race/ethnicity for official IPEDS reporting is based on a set of criteria in order to report a single value for each individual, separating those with “Alien” or “Alien Temporary” citizenship status and those with multiple ethnicities into separate categories. In aggregate format, “BIPOC” includes the following race and ethnicity categories: American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, Black or African American, Hispanic, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, and Two or more races.
Resource Responsibility Center
The Resource Responsibility Center is an organizational unit at the University accountable to central administration for the financial activities of units and organizations reporting to it. An RRC is either a campus, college, or major support unit.
A combination of job function and tenure status to count employees in the proper reporting category for IPEDS.
A defined period of instruction that is a subunit of an academic year. Examples: Fall, Spring, Summer.
Students who identify as United States citizens and identify as one of the following: American Indian/Alaskan Native, Hispanic/Latino, Black/African American, or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander.
- How to use Tableau Dashboards and Views:
- Data Visualization Overview Guide [PDF]
- Tableau hierarchy +/- operator instructions:
Some dashboards use the plus/minus sign in a heading to either expand or collapse content categories. When hovering next to a field label you may notice a + or - operator. By clicking on this operator you can drill into or out of the hierarchies. Click this link for a visual representation of how to use the +/- hierarchy operators: